Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Conclusion+Reflection+AOB

Reflection

Now, I know that polluted water is define as one or more substances that have been built up in water bodies such as lakes, rivers, oceans and groundwater to an extent such that it cause problems and are harmful to organisms and plants. Water pollution comes from many sources, mainly point source and non-point source. There are many effects of water pollution, from water borne diseases to marine debris to thermal pollution. There are many solutions to solve the issue of polluted water. Most of the time being whether people wants to co-operate or not. There are a few interesting facts that i learned when doing my research. I did not put in my post, but here are 2 interesting facts I learned. One, Asian rivers are the most polluted in the world. They have three times as many bacteria from human waste as the global average and 20 times more lead than rivers in industrialized countries. I felt quite hard to believe. In Singapore, everyone has accessed to clean water, and the dirtiest water was most probably from the toilet. I was shocked and surprised to learn that water in our neighboring countries was that polluted. The figures were truly appalling. Number of bacteria from human waste is a massive number, but 3 times? That is really, really dirty. The second fact I find interesting is, pollution of freshwater (drinking water) is a problem for about half of the world's population. Each year there are about 250 million cases of water-related diseases, with roughly 5 to 10 million deaths. Again, I am reminded about how fortunate I am living in Singapore. Clean water was available anywhere, but water is a problem for half the world's population. When we use water, we do not think how much is used, but for the people who needed the water desperately, every drop of fresh water for them is put to good use. There were indeed many problems when I started researching on this topic. The first problem was, obviously, what topic should I research on. After quite a long time of thinking and penning down ideas, I realised that I should do on a topic which has not been under much media, but a serious problem. I came upon this topic when I was looking at running water from tap. Water come so readily in Singapore, with just a twist of the tap, clean water is flowing immediately. I realised that there are problems in the world related to water, and decided to do this topic. After this whole research, something that kept bothering me was, people in Singapore are still wasting water. I felt bad that even though I know about the problems the world is facing with water, I could not do anything to help. My only hope is that through my journal, I can raise awareness of people and hopefully stop people from wasting water.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_pollution
http://www.geocities.com/kamil_pollutionpage/WaterPollution.htm
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/waterpollution.html
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2005/07-26/water-pollution-facts-article.htm

Glossary:
1.Degrade-to break down
2.Zooplankton-the aggregate of animal or animallike organisms in plankton, as protozoans.
3.Sanitation-the development and application of sanitary measures for the sake of cleanliness, protecting health, etc.
4.Alzheimer's disease-a common form of dementia of unknown cause, usually beginning in late middle age, characterized by memory lapses, confusion, emotional instability, and progressive loss of mental ability.

The following words defintion is from dictionary.com

That is it for biology.

No comments:

Post a Comment